I was able to purchase tickets to the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris via the lottery system. Tickets went super fast, but the ticketing system was good. I'm not sure how many options - especially affordable ones - will be available for folks in future lottery timeslots, but there may still be luck for those selected for the single-ticket sale later.
The ticketing system for Paris 2024 is a new format for the Olympic Games. It is similar to the lottery system that is used to book campsites for some popular hiking trails in the United States (such as the Wonderland Trail in Washington State). Tickets are released over multiple rounds beginning with the Make Your Games packs, then later in the single-ticket sale, both of which can only be accessed through a lottery system. I signed up for the lottery in December 2022 without expecting my name to be drawn from the million(s?) of other entries. Frankly, I had written off my chances of ticket access until I received the notification email of my success two days before my assigned time slot.
I had a feeling that tickets would go quickly, so I coordinated with my spouse and group of friends to determine our plan:
- Which events did we most want to attend?
- What would our budget be for event tickets?
- Would we still want to make the trip if we could only get tickets to one of our desired events?
- Would we be willing to spend more on one event if we couldn't get tickets to two or three?
- How many days could everyone expect to get off of work?
Check back for more of my experience on the road to Paris 2024!